If you’re a fan of interactive story games, like me, you know how difficult it is to find good visual novels on mobile.
On the app stores, you’ll usually find them in simulation or adventure games categories. But there are so many to choose from – which one should you play?
In this article, we’ll take a look at some of the best interactive story games currently available on mobile. I highlight their unique features, captivating storylines, and immersive gameplay. Whether you’re a seasoned gamer or new to mobile gaming, these interactive fiction games are sure to keep you hooked.
Without further ado, here’s my curated list of the best interactive story apps.
1. Unwritten: How Will Your Story End?
Unwritten: How Will Your Story End is an outstanding choice for anyone looking for interactive story games that are both entertaining and intriguing.
Here’s why I believe it’s the best interactive story game on mobile right now.
This newly released interactive story game features multiple series with hybrid gameplay and interactive elements that will keep you entertained for hours on end.
Through its beautiful art, unique personalities, and compelling storytelling, Unwritten brings something fresh and new to the world of visual novels.
What sets Unwritten apart from other interactive fiction games is that it’s incredibly diverse, both in terms of its characters and genres. While romance plays a role in the game, it’s intertwined with playable scenarios and objectives, making it entirely optional.
What’s more, Unwritten: How Will Your Story End has meaningful choices that truly make a difference, which unfortunately can’t be said for many other choice-based games. The choices you make in the game influence not only the direction the story takes but also how it ends.
Because of that, Unwritten quickly became my all-time favorite interactive game.
Furthermore, there are different paths you can choose and develop, based on the choices you make. Whether you prefer a kinder, gentler approach or a more assertive and aggressive stance, the game has something for everyone.
Another thing I love about Unwritten is its community. Even though this narrative game is still very new, it already has a dedicated fanbase that has been around from the very beginning. The game’s developers (Milkshake Games) are also very active on Unwritten Discord and welcome fan input, which is nice.
Lastly, Unwritten: How Will Your Story End is available for free download on both Google Play and Apple’s App Store, so there’s no reason not to check it out!
Best Unwritten Stories
So far, this interactive game has four series with different genres and themes. Here’s an overview of each one.
- Second Society – A paranormal vampire story where a young woman discovers that she carries the blood of a presumed dead royal vampire bloodline and gets pulled into the world of the paranormal.
- Triple Scoop – A high school comedy-drama that follows an aspiring journalist writing a raunchy exposé of the three most popular students in Rubrik High. A heart-throb star quarterback with a passion for theater, an academia-oriented girl obsessed with fantasy role-playing games, and a punk-rock rebel fighting to save the environment.
- Business with Pleasure – A steamy storyline set in an adult nightclub. You take on the role of a young exotic dancer trying to handle a turbulent work environment and eccentric personalities.
- Gears of Snow and Cinders – A fantasy forbidden love story where you experience what it’s like to be a tortured princess who takes her life into her own hands and fulfills her destiny.
2. Chapters: Interactive Stories
Chapters: Interactive Stories is one of the most entertaining choose-your-own-story adventure games.
The main thing I like about it is that it has a good reading experience and new stories are published fairly often. There’s a wide variety of story genres to choose from, like romance, comedy, drama, fantasy, and more.
Whatever you’re into, you’ll probably find a story you like.
For example, if interactive erotica is your jam and you’re into D/s relationships, you’ll probably enjoy To Have and to Master, a spicy arranged marriage story. There’s something for everybody!
In this interactive story game, your choices make a difference and affect the storyline. However, unlike in Unwritten, where choices can significantly influence a story and even its ending, different choices in Chapters only lead to minor plot changes.
This story-based game has mostly positive reviews. However, there are some negative ones as well, mainly regarding paid features and lacking free choice options.
Best Chapters Stories
- The Boy I Hate – A will-they-won’t-they forbidden romance between a young woman and her friend’s brother. If you’re into slow-burn and enemies-to-lovers tropes – this story is for you.
- HALO – An LGBTQ+ romance story where you experience what it’s like to audition for a popular band and become close towith a world-famous rockstar.
- Blurred Lines – A spicy friends-to-lovers story full of unexpected twists and turns.
- Prince with Benefits – You play as a hopeless romantic courted by a handsome prince. It’s a sweet book with fantasy, comedy, and drama elements.
- Open Mind – A kinky story where Jamie, a nurse, gets pulled into the world of BDSM by his dominant boss Dr. Ronan.
3. Episode: Choose Your Own Story
This list of best interactive story games wouldn’t be complete without Episode: Choose Your Own Story.
If you’ve always dreamed of being the main character, you’ll love this story game. It allows you to create your unique character and fully immerse yourself in gripping storylines.
One of the best things about Episode: Choose Your Own Story is its incredibly large collection of stories – more than 150 thousand of them. Regardless of whether you’re into romance stories, comedy or mystery, this interactive novel truly offers something for everyone.
Best Episode Stories
- The K*ss List – In this storyline, you take on the role of a high school student seeking revenge on bullies by creating a “kiss list.” It’s a mix of romance and drama in a classic high school setting.
- It Started With A Bra – The main character of this story is a young woman who becomes a lingerie model to pay for college. It tackles career-related challenges and navigating a new job and relationships.
- Love on Fire – In this story, you play as a contestant on a reality dating show. The goal is to find love while also competing against other contestants.
- The New Girl – The story follows a high school student who moves to a new town and must navigate the challenges of making new friends and fitting in.
- The Infected – This story is about surviving a post-apocalyptic world overrun by zombies. You try to stay alive and find other survivors.
Creating Your Own Story on Episode
You can also create your own story on the Episode website, make it come to life, and share it with other players. If you’re into creative writing and have published stories on platforms like Wattpad or AO3, you’ll love this unique feature.
Some of the popular user stories on Episode are:
- Dripping Mascara (a user romance story with mystery/fantasy elements)
- The Teacher (a steamy student/teacher romance story)
- EvarCrine (a fantasy/adventure story following the Lost Princess of EvarCrine)
- Hate That BoyBand (an adaptation of a fanfiction about One Direction)
4. Choices: Stories You Play
The aptly named Choices: Stories You Play is one of the most popular interactive choice games. It lets you immerse yourself in fantasy worlds and control what happens next by making important choices.
What I love about Choices is that it has a large collection of stories in all types of different genres. Whether you’re into steamy romance stories or supernatural horror stories, you’ll find something that piques your interest.
To top it all off, the game also has an interesting social aspect that lets you connect with other gamers, share your experiences, and even form in-game alliances. The social feature brings a sense of community and camaraderie to the gaming experience, which makes it infinitely more enjoyable.
Best Choices Books
Here are some of the best stories from Choices and their plotlines:
- The Crown and The Flame – This fantasy romance storyline features a young queen who must save her kingdom from an evil empire. Her handsome companion Dom helps her in her pursuit, the two of them forming a powerful duo.
- Bloodbound – In this visual novel, a young woman becomes entangled in the world of vampires. She is trying to uncover the truth about her vampire partner and their past.
- The Freshman – Tells a story of a college freshman navigating the challenges of college life, friendships, and relationships. You’ll be met with difficult choices between several love interests, rivals, and a demanding professor.
- Endless Summer – If you ever wondered what would happen if you got stranded on a mysterious island with a group of strangers this is the story for you. You can experience romance, mystery, and adventure elements as you uncover the secrets of the island and try to find a way home.
- The Royal Romance – This story follows a young woman who falls in love with a prince while trying to navigate their relationship and the challenges of being a part of the royal family.
5. Life Is Strange
Life Is Strange is one of the OG interactive story games, released back in 2015 on PC and PlayStation. Fans were beyond excited when Life Is Strange was released on mobile in 2018, followed by a remastered version in 2021.
This outstanding adventure game has been praised for its engaging story, relatable characters, and emotional impact.
What’s more, it revolutionized narrative adventure games by allowing players to go back in time and affect the past, present, and future. That creates different outcomes and multiple possible endings, which makes the gameplay incredibly engaging and complex.
Life Is Strange follows the story of a teenage girl Max Caulfield, who discovers that she can rewind time. She uses this special power to try to solve the mystery behind the disappearance of a fellow student, Rachel Amber. At the same time, she’s trying to navigate common challenges of high school life like trying to fit in, feeling like an outcast, and bullying.
This is what makes Life Is Strange so memorable – most of us can relate to these themes.
As the game progresses, Max’s choices and actions have significant consequences. Not only do they affect her own life but also the lives of those around her.
Why Is Life Is Strange So Good?
Here’s what’s so great about Life Is Strange.
- Powerful narrative: The game’s story is well-written and engaging. The characters are relatable and emotional moments resonate with players across all genders and ages.
- Unique gameplay mechanic: The game’s time-rewinding mechanic is innovative and adds an interesting twist to typical narrative adventure games.
- Impactful choices: The choices in Life Is Strange significantly impact the story and the characters. That makes the player feel like they have agency over the story.
- Important issues: The game tackles real-world issues such as bullying, mental health, and social justice, making it more than just a mobile game.
- Memorable soundtrack: Life Is Strange features a cool soundtrack that enhances the emotional impact of the story. Fun fact – it was composed by Jonathan Morali, a French composer and leader of the indie rock band Syd Matters.
6. Tears of Themis
Tears of Themis is a detective adventure game published by miHoYo, creators of Genshin Impact., a mega-popular role-playing game.
This game is a bit different from other interactive fiction games on this list – it’s more of a murder mystery adventure game with card game elements. You play as a young lawyer who has to solve complicated legal cases while also managing relationships with fascinating characters.
However, it also features one main interactive story that’s very immersive, which is why I included it on this list of best story games.
What I like about Tears of Themis is that it flawlessly combines romance and mystery genres to deliver a thrilling gaming experience.
In the game, you have to search for clues at crime scenes, analyze them, and solve challenging puzzles and mysteries. As you progress through the game, you’ll unlock new stories, characters, and hidden secrets, so you’ll never get bored.
What makes Tears of Themis so special is its focus on storytelling and character development. The characters are all unique, meticulously designed, and have their own personalities, backgrounds, and motivations. You’ll have to build relationships with them and navigate the complexities of their lives to solve the game’s mysteries.
On top of all that, the game’s anime-inspired visual style is impeccable – it’s my favorite thing about this story-based choice game. The game’s animations are also super smooth, which makes playing it all the more enjoyable.
Tears of Themis is free-to-play, and you get daily login bonuses and events, which is pretty cool. And, you can connect with other players and enjoy the social aspect of the game too.
MeChat is one of the most innovative free interactive story games on mobile. It skillfully blends elements of multiple genres (a visual novel, a simulation game, and a dress-up game) to create a truly captivating experience.
The game has gained popularity among female gamers because of its great storytelling and unique characters, as well as its unique blend of gameplay mechanics.
The game’s narrative structure is set up so that every decision you make has consequences. Meanwhile, the simulation game elements make the character interactions feel real and tangible.
And of course, the ability to customize your character’s appearance through the dress-up feature allows you to become whoever you want. This is my favorite feature because it adds an extra layer of personalization to the gaming experience.
All in all, MeChat is a must-play for anyone who loves interactive fiction games with immersive storytelling and well-rounded characters.
8. Romance Club – Stories I Play
If you’re looking for interactive story games like Choices, try Romance Club: Stories I Play – it’s one of the most exciting story-based games around.
It offers a variety of unique and engaging romantic storylines that are well-crafted, well-written, and engaging. The game also features stunning graphics and sound effects, which made my gameplay experience more pleasing.
In addition to its main features, Romance Club: Stories I Play also includes mini-games and puzzles that you can solve to progress through the story, which is a neat addition.
The game is available on both iOS and Android platforms and you can download it for free.
Best Romance Club Stories
- Moonborn – A second book from Romance Club following a college student who falls in love with a mysterious, supernatural creature known as Moonborn.
- Legend of the Willow – Written by the same author as Moonborn, Legend of the Willow is a story inspired by Japanese culture and folklore. In it, a young woman transforms into a fox and learns she’s a Katsune who possesses paranormal abilities.
- Sails in the Fog – After escaping an arranged marriage by boarding a pirate ship, a young woman must navigate a treacherous world of pirates and deceit to find her true love.
- Dracula: A Love Story – A time-traveling story where you can play both as a present-day character and her past life in the 15th century. As you might guess from the title, she eventually falls in love with the infamous vampire, Dracula.
- Chasing You – A classic murder mystery with romance elements where you must solve your aunt’s murder and escape from a killer who’s out to get you.
9. Whispers: Interactive Stories
For those of you looking for interactive games like Episodes, I recommend Whispers: Interactive Stories. It’s one of my favorite visual novel games with choices.
The game’s best feature is a wide range of genres, interactive stories, and decision-making opportunities throughout the storyline.
You can choose from various options that determine how the story progresses and what outcomes occur. Want to generate drama, plot revenge, or avoid conflict? It’s all up to you!
This makes each gameplay unique and tailored to the player’s choices.
Overall, Whispers: Interactive Stories is endlessly fun and charming, making it an excellent choice if you’re looking for quality interactive fiction.
Best Whispers Stories
- The Missing Heir – A mafia-themed mystery story where you play as a detective investigating the disappearance of a wealthy businessman’s heir.
- Dance to the Top – A reality TV show inspired storyline where you enter a popular dance competition. As if that wasn’t challenging enough, your mentor is your idol who you have a crush on.
- Defiant – A spicy BDSM workplace story where you seduce your dominant boss and explore the exhilarating power dynamics that push your boundaries.
- Fame in Progress – It follows the exciting story of an LA waitress who finally catches her big break and joins world-famous rockstars on stage.
- Teacher’s Torment – A smutty story about a forbidden romance between a naughty student and her handsome teacher.
10. My Fantasy: Choose Romance
The final game on our list of text-based adventure games is My Fantasy: Choose Your Romance – a dating simulator and an interactive game all in one.
No matter what type of stories you’re into, this game has got you covered! It’s perfect for anyone looking to experience love in different ways and escape into a dreamy world of romance.
Here’s another cool thing about My Fantasy: Choose Romance.
The game’s standout feature is the ability to choose your own home, customize your boyfriend, and change your appearance. That makes the game more personalized and allows you to feel more invested in the character’s story.
Not only that, but you can also share stories and experiences with other players, creating a sense of community and socialization within the game.
Another thing I like is that it’s super easy to use. The controls are straightforward, and the interface is intuitive, so you can dive right in without feeling overwhelmed or confused.
The game developers regularly update the game with new storylines and features, which keeps the game fresh and exciting.
Overall, My Fantasy: Choose Romance is perfect for anyone looking for fun interactive games. So why not give it a try and see where your choices take you?
Bonus List of Best Interactive Story Games on Mobile
Looking for even more interactive story games?
I got you – here are 33 more fun interactive fiction games (in no particular order) you can play right now!
- Lovelink: Chapters of Love
- BTS World
- Journey: Romance Stories
- Become a Queen
- Romance Faith: Story and Chapters
- Father and Son
- The Wolf Among Us
- Campus: Date Sim
- Flipped in Love
- Batman: The Telltale Series
- Linda Brown: Interactive Story
- The Walking Dead Season One
- Underworld Office: Story Game
- The Arcana: A Mystic Romance
- The Ancestral Legacy
- Duskwood: Detective Story
- Mr Love: Queen’s Choice
- Mariam Game
- Hoosegow: Prison Survival
- Batman: The Enemy Within
- My Candy Love: Episode
- Forest of Destiny: Otome
- Mystic Messenger
- Moon Lovers
- Court of Darkness
- Loverz: Virtual Stories
- Emperor: Conquer Your Queen
- My Escape: My Secret Crush
- Starry Love
- Bollywood Episode Story Game
- Diana’s Stories
- Blood Kiss: A Vampire Story
- Wannabe Challenge
Best Interactive Story Games: A Summary
There are so many reasons why people love interactive story games.
Primarily, they offer players the chance to immerse themselves in rich storylines and influence outcomes with their choices, which provides a sense of control and autonomy.
Moreover, decision-based games allow players to escape from their everyday lives and experience fantasy worlds. Not to mention they’re incredibly fun, entertaining, and relaxing.
Finally, many interactive story games allow players to connect with other players, share experiences, and interact with other characters within the game.
What’s your main reason for playing interactive choice games? Which one of these free adventure games is your favorite? Let me know what you think in the comments below!